What is Philoptohos?
Philoptochos is one of the largest women’s philanthropic organizations in the United States. It is the accredited international women’s organization of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North America. It is designed for Orthodox women to promote humanitarian efforts in their communities and beyond.
Philoptochos functions on three levels: 1) National Board, 2) Metropolis Board, San Francisco, 3) Local Chapter, Pasadena.
In the 1930s, the late Athenogoras I, then Archbishop of North and South America established a women’s organization to be named Philoptochos, “friends of the poor.” Throughout the years the Philoptochos Society has tirelessly worked for the Church, family and community. The dynamic and compassionate force for those in need is a tribute to the early women who pioneered Philoptochos and those who continue to be a “friend of the poor.”
The Panagia chapter of the Philoptochos Society of Saint Anthony’s in Pasadena were founded in 1953, two years before the Parish was organized. The first group of women were instrumental in raising money and starting the building fund for the new parish in Pasadena. Today our chapter continues to help support the many needs of our church and community. The funds raised throughout the year benefits charities nationally, Metropolis (San Francisco), Saint Anthony’s Church and our community.
Today there are over 400 chapters in the United States. Members make a difference in the world by their compassionate philanthropic efforts.
- A Post-Paschal Message
- Springs Fire In California Threatens Homes Of Camarillo Parishioners
- Metropolis Summer Camp 2013 Financial Assistance Available
- Metropolis of San Francisco Summer Camp 2013 Early Registration Extended
- Petition To White House For Assistance To Free Abducted Orthodox Hierarchs In Syria
- Paschal Encyclical 2013
- 2013 Holy Week Schedule for Archimandrite Apostolos Koufallakis, Chancellor
- First Retreat for Health Care Professionals Hosted by Metropolis of San Francisco
- Archbishop Ieronymos Concludes Visit to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- The Community of Sts Constantine and Helen Welcomes Archbishop Ieronymos with Respect and Love
- Archbishop Ieronymos Visits the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and the Community of St. Demetrios in Astoria
- Archbishop Ieronymos Presides At Divine Liturgy Concelebration at Holy Trinity Cathedral
- His Beatitude Archbishop Ieronymos of Athens and All Greece Receives Honorary Doctorate from Holy Cross School of Theology
- Address of His Beatitude Ieronymos at the Graduation Ceremony of Hellenic College and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
- Primate of the Church of Greece Meets with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Visits Harvard University
- Edict of Milan Seminar
- His All-Holiness offers Easter message on The Huffington Post
- His All-Holiness in Imvros for Holy Week and Pascha
- His All-Holiness addresses Pope Francis at the Vatican
- The Extraordinary Historical Significance of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew's Presence at Pope Francis' Installation as Bishop of Rome
- His All-Holiness meets privately with Pope Francis and represents religious communities at papal reception